Here are a few interesting facts about foods. I'll update this page periodically,
so you may want to check back for more info...
Did you know?
Corn is not a vegetable, but a starch in diet terms.
Starchy foods (such as corn, rice and pasta) turn to sugar once injested,
use them in moderation.
Iceberg (white) lettuce has no nutritional value; Go for dark greens. The darker the vegetable's color, the more nutritious it is.
Tomatoes, Pink Grapefruit, red bell peppers and watermelon help to guard you against cardiovascular disease,
lung and prostate cancer. Eat alot of them.
Bright orange veggies are full of vitamin A among other nutrients which benefit your skin. Your
skin is the first defense against some diseases. Eat plenty of carrots, squash and sweet potatoes.
The word "Enriched" on food labels means over-processed, sugar added.
Buy whole-grain foods that do not contain 'enriched' flour and eat about 5 servings per day.
Nuts are loaded with brain-nourishing fat. Eat them in moderation 3-4 times
per week (no more than a handful) as they are also loaded with calories.
Fish are also loaded with brain-nourishing fat (Omega-3). But watch mercury
content; eat fish only about 3 times per week.
Red fish such as salmon, mackerel have the highest nutritional value.
Seafood gives you nutrients you won't find anywhere else, but keep it to 3-4x's per
week as it can highten cholesterol levels.
Bananas are a wonder- food...little-known facts:
- They give an instant, sustained boost of energy
- Great energizer before a strenuous work-out
- High in iron; helps correct anemia
- High in potassium, beating high blood pressure
- Boosts brain power; makes you more alert
- Contains a natural relaxer called trypotophan; makes you feel happier
- Builds up depleted blood sugar levels naturally
- They are a natural antacid; sooths heart-burn
- Eaten regularly, can cut the risk of death from strokes
So when in doubt, eat a banana to squelch cravings, it's only about 70 calories and combined with a glass
of water, can fill you up for hours.
More to come.........